Thursday, January 21, 2010

Rainy Days

Rainy days are perfect for musing about home improvement projects. Sitting by the window with a strong cup of tea and a notepad, I've begun sketching out my plans for spring improvements. New screening shrubs along the west side, a deciduous shade tree strategically located for future shade, and an expanded kitchen garden. Before too long I'll be getting seeds started using one of those handy plastic kits with the tray and clear cover, available at most local hardware stores. My neighbor stopped by yesterday- the rain has reminded her that she could use a drainage system in her yard, and wanted to discuss a design contract.

Glancing over my shoulder, my fiancee reminds me that there are plenty of things we could work on inside the house, well before the ground begins to dry out. New low-VOC paint for the back bedroom, cork flooring in the office, and of course the new sustainable kitchen cabinets she's been wanting. She even has a book of color swatches that she borrowed from Green Sacramento. After discussing for a few minutes we decide to take care of the painting and the floor now, and wait until the spring for the cabinets since we can start cooking more on the barbecue while the cabinets are being installed.

She joins me for another cup of tea, and we stand at the window looking out at the rain. I'm looking forward to this year- new beginnings and finally taking care of projects we've been putting off for a while. Here's to a rainy day, and plans for the future.

-Ed Chandler is the owner of Loftgardens Landscape Architecture, co-located in the Green Living Center, 919 20th Street in Midtown Sacramento.

No comments:

Post a Comment